Monday, January 25, 2016

Maci Bates: Gender Roles in the South

 In "The Hunting Years" and the excerpt from "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady", we analyze the gender norms of the south and traditions that were expected of each gender. In Franklin's essay, we hear his story of coming of age as a man in his part of the south. For him, it's expected to kill a buck in order to prove he Is not a "pussy". Franklin wasn't interested in killing a buck, he had other interests, but did so in order to prove himself to his family and others. This part of the south reflects the hyper-masculinity aspect, where you have to prove and show your toughness, otherwise you are compared to a girl, like it's a negative thing.
In King's writing ("Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady"), we read about what the proper etiquette to be a southern lady in her grandmother's eyes. Her grandmother's idea of a lady was a very old-fashioned view, thinking that women must not be intelligent, must be very feminine, and hard to get. King's grandmother got upset when her mother didn't conform to these norms, and even went out to search for a new daughter in order to have a "southern lady" daughter. In this reading we also learned about what is considered manly and what isn't considered manly.
Both of these readings, I believe, accurately reflected the beliefs of the south and their cultural norms. Living in different states, three different southern states, I can definitely attest that these readings are an accurate reflection. To be manly, in their eyes, is to be tough, strong, and self-sufficient. Where as a true lady of the south must be delicate, uneducated, and submissive.  Unfortunately it is very easy to succumb to the traditional gender roles in order to feel accepted and feel like you belong.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that these traditional gender roles were portrayed very accurately in our two readings. Although some feel that these roles were very strong in southern states, I also think that these roles are strong across the country as well. Growing up in Northern California, one would think that these roles would not be as prevalent. Even though that this is sometimes the case, I can say that I was still pushed into these roles, and many times forced to do things that I didn't want to do. Although I didn't like it at the time, I now know that these things we are forced to do are sometimes the best things for us. I hated playing sports, but my dad made me do it from the time I could wake all the way through high school. I did not know it at the time, but I now understand these sports kept me fit, healthy, taught me a great work ethic, and that no matter what, I am able to do anything. I also did not enjoy hunting, but the lessons we learn from hunting are great. We understand where our food comes fro, that we have to end life in order to sustain ours, that one should be able to provide for his family and that hard work, such as hunting or playing sports, pays off. We also are able to learn that a lot of these things come naturally. Doing things we do not love is part of the growing process and it builds character. Sometimes making kids feel good about whatever they love to do and letting them do whatever they want isn't always the best thing for them.

    ReplyDelete