Friday, March 4, 2016

Film Adaption of Street Car Named Desire

I think the thing that shocked me most was the actresses portrayal of Blanche. In the book she comes off as over powering and too excentic. She says very outlandish statements like, "I want you to look at my figure, you know I haven't put on one ounce in ten years?" but in the play the actress doesn't make it sound as harsh and rude as the script does. When she sees her sister for the first time and they are speaking about age and weight, Blanche comes off in a stuck-up sence. Yet when its worded in the scene in the bar she sounds totally normal. Her thoughts in the movie are drastically reduced by the actresses gestures and composure or lack there of. I think it is partially based on the fact that they don't stick one hundred percent to the script. It's also the fact that in your own mind you read words more harsh and direct as opposed to the acting out of the dialogue. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, yet I think the actors like Blanche put a great spin on the character. The way she acts when she looks completely freaked out as the doctor takes her away was impressive to me.

    ReplyDelete