Friday, March 11, 2016

March 1912

In the poem titled March 1912, Ophelia wrote a postcard to her friend that said the end of winter is coming (33).  It is time to stop wearing winter apparel. Trees are beginning to blossom. She is more aware of the change of season than ever before. She feels the anticipation of the renewal that comes with spring.  Ophelia feels as if she is blossoming and growing out of the person she used to be.

I decided to paraphrase this poem because I really liked the last sentence.  I liked the way she compared her self to a tree splitting its skin. Changing like the seasons.

2 comments:

  1. I know this sounds kind of out there, are they perhaps hinting at birth? Is the narrator pregnant? She says she s aware of a coming that has never happened before. A budding meaning birth and the skin not fitting meaning she's getting bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a lovely comparison. I love when people compare themselves to nature because there are many parallels - blossoming and growing like a tree are awesome analogies to coming of age.

    ReplyDelete