Friday, March 4, 2016

Streetcar Adaptation


After reading Streetcar Named Desire we all watch the movie looking for different factors. Knowing the nature of the characters, multiple lines scream at me during the movie. I found myself flipping back into the book wondering how on earth I missed that line. I honestly do not know if I am looking for these character traits or if the director choose to flash them as much as he does.

We have come to learn the nature of Stanley's aggression. Watching his first scene where he is demanding Stella to question how her sister lost their family home it seems more aggressive than the first time I read the scene. Stanley is pushing her away from the suitcase, and Stella is fighting back. One of the lines that screamed at me is when Stanley says to Blanche, "If you weren't my wife's sister I would get ideas about you". This line in the film seemed very rapey.

Blanche is portrayed as more innocent in the film, and I am able to victimize her more throughout the movie. When Blanche is having flashes of "crazy" the music is louder, Stanley's voice echoes, the drama is more intense. As the movie goes on the rooms get smaller.

Overall the visualization of these characters very much opened my eyes to their true nature. I enjoyed the movie adaptation.

1 comment:

  1. I also found myself flipping back through the play wondering how I missed certain lines. Everything seemed to be way more dramatic then the way I read it. I believe the movie also seemed to have more sexual tension then what I imagined while reading the play. The depictions in the movie really made me think about how many ways there are to view this play.

    ReplyDelete