Friday, March 4, 2016

Movie vs. Play

The movie version of A Streetcar Named Desire  is a very interesting take on the original play version. I feel as though the play is more intense than the movie. The buildup of tension between Blanche and Stanley was less intense that the play but Blanche seemed incredibly more dramatic than the play. This is probably due to it being acted out instead of it being just read out loud. I will say that I liked that the walls kept getting smaller and smaller but also it seemed as though Stanley's speech was becoming more slurred as time went on. I feel as though his speech mirrors his sanity as Stanley deals with Blanche for five months. On an additional note, in the play Blanche seems off but you do not know quite how. In the movie, Blanche seems like a borderline schizophrenic or some other mental illness but she is clearly mentally ill.  It is very apparent as the movie continues towards the end. The rape scene was very interesting in the movie due to ho vague the ending scene was. I think it was just as implied in the movie as it was in the play. The reason why I think it's implied is due to the expression on both of the actors faces as if something bad will happen or that the pot has finally boiled over so to say. The ending is the scene tat really got me. Instead of ending in a solemn manner of sending Blanche away, it ends with Stella standing up for herself so to speak and leaving Stanley. I think I prefer the play's version of the ending because it resembles real life more that the movie version does. Regardless of how the movie ended, I really like the movie version of A Streetcar Named Desire because of how insane it is and how it took the play and made it its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment