Monday, April 18, 2016

Dream Boy

      After reading a majority of the novel, I have mixed feelings about it. I have been raised Catholic since birth which has caused me to develop opinions based on my religion. It has been hard to break as I have always attended catholic schools that condemn homosexuality. Putting aside my personal opinions, I think it is a well written book and Roy and Nathan seem like a typical high school couple. They become increasingly close, become curious about each others' bodies and have to hide their relationship from their parents.
      After discussing the book, I realized I missed the clues about Nathan's dad sexually abusing him. It gave a reason as to why he needed to run away from home. After reading through my highlighted notes, I realized I highlighted a note that expressed this. While with Roy, Nathan has a moment of thought that, "in a fleeting way, the irony that what pleases him with Roy terrifies him with his father" (100). He is doing the same things to Roy but is being forced while with his father. It is also ironic that his dad seems to be a very church oriented man but would do something like this to his son.

1 comment:

  1. I was disturbed also at the fact that his father was abusing him. This was something that ruined the book for me and made it so upsetting. These clues make the book haunting and almost hard to finish.

    ReplyDelete