Wednesday, April 6, 2016

"How They DO in Oxford" follows a young black reporter as he follows Hotty Toddy's winning football season. A black man following white fans who are cheering for black athletes on only game days. The story is about the mixed culture of white men families who paint their skin red, hang confederate flags, and sing at church on Sundays. The same people who gather in community to put down others. The crowds gathering outside the stadium do not represent the men playing on the field, the students working hard in school, and the rest of their state that they carry the name across their shirts. The falling of the confederate flag is a step for Mississippi but not the end goal.

It was interesting reading this article because Laymon only paints the picture, he never puts the words in your mouth. I am from the south and after Katrina I longed to be like the rest of my family Saturday mornings out watching football. Instead I was in my basement with my step dad eating hot wings watching the fans on TV. I dreamed of going to a big state school and planned game day outfits of purple and gold, blue and navy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment