Monday, April 4, 2016

How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America

In this collection, Kiese Laymon writes in depth about his own personal story, which includes trials and reflections in under-appreciated modern day American life. He gives us insight to his coming-of-age story in Mississippi, where struggled to rise above stereotypes and racism.
A beautiful face of Kiese Laymon we see is his role as a grandson, and the undying love he has for his grandmother. "I think of my grandma and remember that old feeling of being so in-love that nothing matters except seeing and being seen by her. I drop the gun on my chest." When Kiese debates on whether to commit suicide or not because the pain is so strong, he thinks of happy times with his grandma, and it gives him the strength to keep moving on. The respect and love he feels for his grandma  appears to be one of the only things that can calm him down from a rage. She is seen as a very positive influence in his life, and that's something we all need.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you it,was a touching moment and I feel like the link between family is what kept him from growing and moving forward even though his mom is flawed. Her grandmother's influence is a key relocation of thought for Kiese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you it,was a touching moment and I feel like the link between family is what kept him from growing and moving forward even though his mom is flawed. Her grandmother's influence is a key relocation of thought for Kiese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this portion of the story gave a lot more personal character development, and true insight as far as what goes on inside the individual mind that would lead to someone wanting to commit suicide then easily overcoming themselves

    ReplyDelete