Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Confederate Monuments


In the article “How They Do in Oxford, Kiese Laymon, tells the story of his residency at Ole Miss in Oxford. The format made the passages seem like journal entries because  he told his story week by week. I thought this was a very unique way to organize his thoughts. I thought this article was very interesting because I did not know very much about Mississippi. In the article Laymon  discussed Mississippi’s state flag and how it includes the confederate flag. He explained that his mother told him “how integral that Confederate flag on the jersey was to lynching, racial terror and multigenerational black poverty in Mississippi.” This made me think of the current problem with the confederate monuments in New Orleans.  These statues also stand for the same ideas as the confederate flag.  I have a similar idea to the The Clarion-Ledger’s letter idea that  the statues glorify the Civil War and that it is time for New Orleans to have monuments for all its people. I also agree with Skipp Coon’s idea that it might be a false solution, but the removal of the statues would be a step in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought the journal entry writing style Kiese LAymon uses was unique. Just as you said one of the first things that came to my mind when reading was the monuments in New Orleans that glorify white supremacy and racism.

    ReplyDelete