Friday, April 22, 2016

Dream Boy 4-22

I believe that the silence of the mother in Dream boy is very disturbing. It is obvious that she loves her son. She would not have these silent interactions with her son, making sure that he is ok if she did not love him. When I think about the love of a mother, I believe it must cross all boundaries. It is hard for me to believe that if a mother knows her child is being abused and hurt time and time again that she would not try to save him. The book takes place and is written in 1995, this is the height of criminal prosecution, advocacy and rights victims. There is no excuse for her to fear leaving or reporting her husband. If she did, there was no way he would ever get out of prison. She, in my eyes, is just as much of a criminal as her husband is.

Many spouses who are subjected to domestic violence and abuse stay in their position because they are dependent on their abusers for money, shelter and even "love." The mother might feel as if she has no where to go, almost trapped. She might feel like no one else will love her the way her husband does. There are even mental disorders where those being abused even become attached to their abusers. Even in the face of this, it is hard for me to believe that she still doest value value the life of her child over these monetary items that can be replaced. I know that If i was being sexually abuse by my father, my mother would have me removed from the position, by all means possible. This is what the mother in dream by should be doing for her child as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment