Wednesday, April 6, 2016

OXFORD

I commend Laymon for his life reflection within this article because he truly uses the senses allowing reader to be one with his article. The way by which he can easily transitions from memory to the current situation for which he is in just shows how fluent of a writer he is. I felt a deep connection with Laymon at the end of the article when he was talking with his Grandmama when she stated,

 "I thought they were close to running out of gas, kie. You didn't tell me they had so many black boys on the team. I prayed for every last one of those boys and their mamas last night. I prayed for the white ones, the black ones, the Mexican ones if they on the team too."
when asked why she responds with "Because you live up there with them now."

Prior to leaving for college it was a struggle with my family accepting that I was leaving. My mother would break down and not talk to me for a few days. However my oldest brother actually helped me with my mom coming to terms with the fact that I was leaving. After having an argument with my mom, one evening over the concept of me taking my acceptance and leaving for New Orleans. My brother stepped in looked at me and said "Hey if your leaving out of state so be it your going to be great and our going to be yourself, and its because of this that I know your going and I am going to make the best of it while you are still here in California."

My own mother at first was heart broken with my determination to come to New Orleans, but after this one evening of arguing and my brother stepping in, just made me realize that he supported me. It was not the fact that he allowed his sadness cloud the fact that i was eventually leaving rather he supported me and wanted to make the best of the situation while the time was allotted.

Laymon's Grandmama was doing the exact same thing, rather follow her own daughter's reaction to the jersey and the team, she supported knowing that this was what he wanted, knowing that no matter what the decision was the decision and to make the best of it. The article has a lot of morals to it and for me this easily made the connection hit home for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Tony, I think it is good that you have a connection to a author the way that you do with Laymon. I think having a connection with an author (whose writing that you are reading) makes reading that much more deep, meaningful, and enjoyable. I also think that an author's main purpose in writing is to attract readers that can relate, as you did with Laymon.

    ReplyDelete