Thursday, April 7, 2016

How They Do in Oxford

When first reading Kiese Laymon’s article “How They Do in Oxford,” my brain was already engulfed with thoughts of the Take Em’ Down initiative of New Orleans monuments, as well as, the Confederate flag controversy. As Kiese begins to talk about his experience living in Oxford, I find his journal like writing style incredibly interesting. The constant images of the Confederate flag and rebels have for many years been the central theme of American teenagers dubbed to express their rebellious side. The theme of belonging and insensitive imagery go throughout the lines of the article until the very end. However, I couldn’t stop thinking about a conversation that my mother and I had a couple of weeks ago.


Out of nowhere, she asked “do you know what the fleur de lis stood for?” I figure of course it represents Saints, New Orleans, French culture, etc. With astonishment she says, “no. It was branded on slaves. I might have to take all my fleur de lis in the house down.” For some reason it connected to Kiese Laymon’s description of the conversations he had with his mother and grandmother. 



In some way, while I’m reading I’m thinking this is going to be a “why we should not support this, but come together and fight against the degrading nature of Southern symbols, etc.” However, Kiese Laymon continues to shake things up and change the way I look at writing as a whole. Kiese instead tells of the support his grandmother depicts even knowing of the symbols that still have a unforgettable history for many, including herself.     

No comments:

Post a Comment